Children with special needs are different in the way they develop and act. As your newborn grows, watch for early signs that your child may need extra help.
Up to 6 Months
- Doesn't coo or smile.
- Doesn't react to loud noises or turn head to follow sounds and voices.
- Has difficulty holding head up by 3 months.
- Has difficulty following objects or people with eyes.
- Arms or legs are stiff and posture is floppy or limp.
6 Months to 1 Year
- Has trouble figuring out simple things like finding an object after seeing it be hidden.
- Has problems responding when being called from across the room, even when it involves something interesting.
- Has difficulty sitting, standing up, reaching for objects, or picking up objects, and doesn't play games like peek-a-boo.
- Hasn't started to say simple words like “mama” or “dada” by age 1.
- Repeats behavior that could hurt, like self-biting or banging the head.