Lead poisoning is a potential danger in many homes, especially in young children. Learn how to avoid lead in your home, what symptoms to look for in your child indicating potential poisoning, and what to do by reading this.
Is lead poisoning making your child sick? Lead poisoning often goes unrecognized. Learn how to protect your children by keeping them away from the hidden dangers of lead.
What to avoid:
Toys that may contain lead paint – be aware of any toy recalls.
Lead paint in older homes – never chip paint or sand walls (or window sills) anywhere near children. Don’t let children put their mouths on walls and window sills.
Make-up, pottery, and pottery glazes may contain lead – keep them out of reach.
What lead poisoning symptoms to look for:
Loss of appetite
What you can do:
Keep floors, window sills, and play areas clean.
Clean up paint chips immediately.
Wash toys and children’s hands often.
If you think there’s any chance of exposure, ask your pediatrician if your child needs a special blood test to check for lead poisoning.
You can have your child tested for lead poisoning as early as age 1.
Purchase a home test kit at your local hardware store, or have your home professionally evaluated for lead content.
A lead poisoning test may be free under your health insurance policy. If your child is covered under Medi-Cal or in the child Health and Disability Prevention Program (CHDP), the test may be free.
Want to learn more about lead poisoning? You may call the National Lead Information Center: 1-800-424-LEAD (5323). Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency website at www.epa.gov/lead. If your child has ingested something they shouldn’t have, or if you want to know if something is potentially poisonous, contact the California Poison Control System at 1-800-222-2222 immediately. They offer immediate, free, and expert treatment advice and referral in case of exposure to poisonous or toxic substances. Click here for more info.
Finally, always trust your instincts and call 911 immediately or head to the hospital emergency room if you feel your child is ever in an emergency situation.
Lead poisoning is serious. Over time, it can cause major health problems. Click here to find out more.